Monday, October 1, 2012

Head for the Cure 2012

I ran a 5K race this Sunday. It was the annual "Head for the Cure" 5K in support of brain cancer research.

Here's a pic of "Team Boyd":
Me, cousin Melissa, Jess and Stacy following the 5K race this Sunday morning.



We had a blast, surprisingly. I was dreading the race, mostly because I'm fat and out of shape. I also planned on being hungover. Fat, out-of-shape and hungover doesn't go well with 5K races.

I was happy to finish the race in 33 minutes, good enough to take 3rd in my age category. Not fast by any means, but I bet it was two or three minutes faster than my time last year. (Note: I ran it in 35:16 last year, so a two-minute improvement. I ran it in 32:29 in 2010, so, whatever.)

They even gave me a medal for third place. I was mildly amused by the whole thing.

Then I came home and showed the medal to Adrianne. Her response: "Oh, did they give everyone a medal this year?"

Thanks, babe.

***

Good news -- Evey's relationship with Parker or whatever his name was, lasted all of one day.

And Evey even announced it that way when she got home. "Good news!" she called out. "I broke up with Parker!"

We asked, what happened? She told us he told her he'd play with her at recess that day, and he did not, so it was OVER.

Plenty of fish in the sea, Evey.

***

If I look giant in that sweatshirt in the photo, it's because it used to be my Dad's. Typically my Dad's clothes are giant on me, but this one is too skinny.

This made my 33-minute 5K even more impressive, that a dude stuffed into a 25-year-old sweatshirt, who recently ate What-a-Burger for three straight meals, could complete the race at all was a victory. For mankind.

***

Boydee likes sitting in the Terror Dome and looking out our front window. He shouts at random things as they pass by, mostly cars. It sounds like he's shouting "I love you!" but I think he really just wants to be heard. It's pretty badass.

Boydee likes to play ball, and is decent at throwing the mini football. He seems to be right-handed.

One thing we can't figure out is that he often will hold the football to his ear before throwing it. I suggested today that a lot of NFL and college quarterbacks will hold the ball up near their ear when they're in the pocket, looking for an open receiver. Perhaps that's where he gets this.

Or maybe he thinks the football is also the phone. I don't know.


No comments: