Thursday, September 27, 2012

Updates from the world of Jones


** I'm running in the "Head for the Cure" 5K this Sunday. It's a fundraiser for brain cancer research. Come out and join us! We've got a team of four of us -- me, my sister, my cousin Melissa, and our friend Stacy are all running on "Team Boyd" in honor of my dad. Click here for details. Also, click through the photos -- you'll see a photo of me and Jess' calves with "In Memory of Dad" written on them, and a photo of my sister holding Evey at the end of the race. Kinda cool!

** Boydee is saying a lot more words now, including "Momma," "Love you," "bye-bye," maybe "thank you" and possibly "abuela," which is what he calls Elvira ("grandma" -- what her actual grandson calls her, so Boyd's latched on to it.) He's doing great... I was in Florida for four days, and he was really happy to see me when I came home, which was cool.

** Here's the big news of the day... Evey has met her future husband, she tells me.

Lately, when I pick her up from school, she comes out the front door holding the same boys' hand. Today they were just both smiling like crazy... and I almost thought this little boy was going to introduce himself to me.

"Who is that boy," I asked Evey once we were in the car. She smiled and said, "That's Jackson. And guess what? I think someday... I'm going to marry him!"

I didn't make a big deal about it. But Evey couldn't hold back. "Don't tell his mom or dad... and don't tell mom... but I think I'm in love with him! I'm in love with him, and... ta-dah! I'm going to marry him."

I told her that she loved me, and that was enough for now.

"But, Dad, I can't marry you -- you're already married," she told me. "Jackson follows me around the playground, and he's really nice. When I fell, he took care of me and made sure I was OK. Daddy, he's so nice!"

I whispered this story to Adro tonight. She laughed pretty hard. And I swore her to secrecy, too.

No one tell Evey's little secret or she'll hate me forever, OK???

No comments: