Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Radio song

It's pretty unmistakable, how sorry the radio waves are in northeast Kansas.

In my Camaro the other day, I needed a good song to perk me up. The iPod was stashed away, and i didn't know what cd (rage against the machine's first) was in the cd player. I clicked through my pre-selected choices...

Of the music choices, two stations were playing Def Leppard. Different songs, but... Def Leppard? Who is still into this band? If they played a show in this area tomorrow, how big a venue would they need? (I'm guessing Liberty Hall.) And how much would they have to price their tickets to sell out a place like the Sprint Center? $5?

So why is this band still all over the airwaves? Do Kansas Citians really still clamor for Def Leppard?

My self-imposed boycott of 96.5 is still underway. I take some solace in the thought that I could have clicked over there for something better. But I can't, based on principle.

I know, sattelite radio, cds, iPod, etc., can help calm me down. But it seems to me that Kansas City deserves better radio. I'm just constantly shocled at how bad it is.

A recent issue of Rolling Stone did open my eyes recently, about the death of alternative rock, on the airwaves. There were something like 3,000 country stations nationwide, while there were less than 300 alternative rock stations.

I'm fine with 3,000 country stations... But maybe if rock stations would play a more modern selection, maybe more would survive.

No comments: