Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Best. Post. Ever.

Combining the three posts that were selected by YOU, the READERS.... here are the best photo, best video, and best post, combined into one post of sheer awesomeness. Of all the posts I've done here (540+) these three sucked the least. Thank you to everyone who voted!

Coming tomorrow -- the readers speak out on especiallyevey.blogspot.com!

***

I might be starting to crack a little bit.

For the last few nights, Evey has really wanted my attention. Adro and Judy can be sitting right there doing nothing, and I can be obviously busy doing something, and Evey will be saying, "Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad."

And then there's the, "What, Evey?"



And she'll point to this bubble bath bottle she has. It has Snow White (or Cinderella, whoever), Sleeping Beauty (I think) and the Little Mermaid on it.

"Who's that?" she'll ask.

"The Little Mermaid."

"Who's that?" she'll ask, pointing to the next character.

"Snow White."

"Who's that?"

"Sleeping Beauty," I'll say, finishing the trio. She'll look at me for a full beat, and then,
"Daddy! Who's that?"

"THE LITTLE MERMAID."

Do you know how I occupied Evey for about 30 minutes the other day? She saw her mom cutting coupons. Then Adro gave her some coupons which she didn't want. So I told Evey to go get her grocery store cash register. It's got pictures of food on it where there would be numbers; a little gun that does the scanning; even a little microphone that you can grab and say, "I got a price check -- Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch. PRICE CHECK!" (the microphone doesn't technically work, though I use it anyway... we have to do a lot of price checks in my house.)

So I hand Evey a coupon, tell her I want to save 55 cents on bean dip. She grabs the coupon, then scans it. About twenty times. Then I hand her the next coupon, and tell her I want to save $1 on Chex Mix. She then scans that coupon thirty times.

We did this for thirty minutes. Coupon, coupon, coupon. Scan, scan, scan.

I can't help but think, somewhere, a father just like me is playing with Matchbox cars. Or G.I. Joe. Or worse, Spider-Man.

You know how close I get to playing Spider-Man? Two ways:

1. Evey loves the itsy bitsy spider. Oh, great, I can sing the itsy bitsy spider.

2. The other day, she walked up to the Spider-Man chair my sister got her, and she said, "Here, Spider-Man... take your medicine!"

SPIDER-MAN DOES NOT TAKE MEDICINE.

He was bitten by a $&%^$#&* radioactive spider, and he does not need medicine. What he needs is to kick some ass, villains like Sandman, Mysterio, Hobgoblin, Electro. He needs to WEB-SWING!

But, nooooo. My kid is giving Spider-Man medicine.

Medicine.

(Oh, and check out this video I did.)

1 comment:

Neuty and Trish said...

Well done (even though I don't agree on the photo, but hey, the people have spoken!). Seeing and reading these stories makes me all the more excited to see Bella continue to develop.