Saturday, January 31, 2015

Kobe Steakhouse

On Tuesday Evey had her "First Reconciliation" or somesuch — it's a Catholic thing, and a big deal, I'm told. So I told Adro we needed to do something cool for Evey to celebrate the reconciling.

So we went to KOBE STEAKHOUSE in Lawrence. It was Adrianne and the kids' first time there.

Adrianne's response was, "You mean that place where you once saw the rat?" And that was a looooong time ago, when it was a different place. But I could tell she was nervous.

Then we got there... and guess what? Adrianne said I 'was right' to suggest we go someplace new, different, exciting... because we all had a blast. Now, we also almost missed Evey's Reconnection... but we had a great time. (OK, we were just a little late, and then stuck in the church for two hours.)

If you haven't been to Kobe, it's a Japanese steakhouse, where the chef cooks on the flat-top grill in front of you. The fire balls, the onion volcano... it's pretty mesmerizing for me, I can only imagine what the kids thought.

The bill came to $70 (including tip) but it did feed the family for two dinners (yes, leftovers) and one late night drunken snack for me. And I had two beers with dinner, too.

Happy Recollection, Evey!

***

The Leprechauns won the game today, but the game was frustrating.

I was accused of yelling at Evey... I did yell, actually, at the top of my lungs. But that was just to get her attention. Once she came over to me, I calmly told her to shoot the ball like she meant to make it. (This was after her leaving back-to-back shots short.)

Evey gave me a look, so maybe my wisdom was misplaced. It happens.

Also the first time I complained to the ref this season. But one of their kids was abusing the loose interpretation of the rules for 2nd graders. My complaint was, hey, a double dribble, OK... but this kid is scoring points off a quadruple dribble! That's a little too lax, especially when the kid clearly understands the rule he's bending.

Within 5 seconds of my complaint, she lit the kid up with a traveling call. That didn't make me feel very good about myself.

Oh well, we won, and I'm told the kids are getting better. It's a fun team. I hope Evey is enjoying it. She is definitely getting better each week.

From hoops, we went to the Rockholds and watched the KU/KSU game. Good to see those guys. Our kids are very similar in age, so it makes for a nice, relaxing time that the kids have someone to play with so the adults can just kinda chill. Boydee was really excited to "play with Spencer," he kept telling us, so that's cool.

From there, back home. I cooked dinner, baked chicken and veggies. Boyd managed to interrupt our peaceful dinner to somehow get a turd on the bathroom floor and subsequently step on it. I knew something terrible happened based on Adrianne's yelp. But everyone apologized to everyone, and we're just happy that Boydee is doing so good on his potty training, and I'm also kind of impressed that he has found a way to miss the toilet with a turd. I kinda want to see that, especially if we're ever in Columbia, Mo.

Everybody kinda quieted down after dinner. I managed to get a little work in, but I've got a long ways to go. (This post is my work break.)

***

Super Bowl Sunday tomorrow. I'm taking the Patriots by a lot, but I'll be kinda rooting for the Seahawks. Really don't care for either team.

 

No comments: