Thursday, November 19, 2009

Back from the future?

I had a disturbing meeting the other day.

I was at Dillons on 6th and Wakarusa. Walk towards the door, Adro is with me. Older gentlemen -- a Dillons employee -- short, salt-and-pepper hair, opens the door for me.

He says something to me. Sounds like he said, "I like your jacket," or something, hard for me to tell -- I'm having this problem hearing. So I just say, "Thanks." Then he mutters something else. I say, "What?" thinking maybe I misheard him. It's at this moment that I realize that the Dillons doorman is somewhat mentally challenged, and perhaps the reason I'm not understanding him clearly isn't just because of my ear.

Then he says, more clearly this time, "You look familiar."

He has a bit of a crazy look at this point, so I just say, "OK!" and move along.

That's when he hit me with it:

"Are you... me?"

I look at him. He looks at me.

"Uh, no, I don't think so."

I walk away.

There's no way this guy was me. From the future. He was shorter. Much shorter. Like, 5'5" to my 6'3".

But you know what? Other than the height... we did sort of look alike.

So now, I'm freaking out. What if my time machine... causes me to shrink? And what if it has an effect on my mind?

OK, that settles it. There's no way in hell I'm ever time-travelling.

1 comment:

Hendren said...

If you really wanted to know why didn't you just ask to see his back? If he has the same tramp stamp as you.....it was you!