Monday, July 9, 2018

2018 South Padre trip: best moments

(Note from Seth: I wrote this last week, and I'm just now getting to posting it. Sorry for the long absence!)

We’re back from a weeklong vacation to South Padre Island. It was a nice trip, but it’s even nicer to be home…

We left last Saturday morning and drove to Austin (on the road from Eudora at 7:15 a.m., pulled into the Fairmount Hotel in downtown Austin at 7 p.m.) Then we returned Friday morning (left the beach at 8 a.m., arrived at Abasolo’s house at midnight… then left Saturday morning at 8 a.m., home by 11:30 a.m.)

I might go into some detail later on the vacation… but for now, here’s a recap of our lunch conversation here at the house, when I asked everyone to recall their “single favorite part of vacation.”

Adro: She refused to give one favorite, but instead three. They were 1) Watching the new Jurassic Park movie at the South Padre theater… 2) the dolphin watch, particularly when two dolphins chased the boat… 3) sitting in the water on the beach.

Evey: Her favorite moment was when we were at South Padre Island Brewery together for lunch on Wednesday… it was a return trip, and we re-ordered the good food from the day before. It’s possible I was a little, uh, fun-lovin’ at the time, as I started my day at the Kraken to watch the Mexico/Sweden World Cup game, and I was yelling at Boyd about eating all the cheese curds that we ordered.

Boyd: Interestingly, Boyd’s favorite moment also came at South Padre Island Brewery… the same lunch, when we ordered a bunch of, what he calls, “cheese turds.” The day before was the first time him, Evey and Mom ever tried cheese curds… Boyd was a BIG FAN and wanted to eat a thousand of them.

Seth (me): I thought everyone’s top moment would be the same, but clearly the South Padre Island Brewery had a more profound effect on the kids than I thought it would… my favorite moment was when we chartered a boat and took a “dolphin watch” tour that Adrianne arranged… two dolphins playfully chased our boat, and even shot water out at us and slapped the water with their tails. The dolphins — big ass dolphins —  were damn near within arm’s reach.

The joke I made to a co-worker was that if I knew the kids enjoyed breweries so much, I could have saved a lot of gas and hit one a lot closer to Eudora! But it was pretty sweet, I think Evey enjoyed it so much because it was our family together... and Boyd thought those "cheese turds" were really funny, and really tasty.

No comments: