Friday, October 16, 2015

A great student, a better friend

Adrianne and I have been pretty busy at work lately, which means we haven't had a whole lot of fun lately. It's run-run-run every day and night. Try to keep up with dinners, homework, laundry. Everyone's a little frazzled.

Everyone except for EVEY, who is in the midst of a 4-and-a-half-day weekend. Must be nice!

It's a break at school for parent/teacher conferences. We scheduled ours early, Wednesday at 3:30. Evey came with me and we headed over to visit with Mrs. Golay.

I was happy, first of all, to see that Evey is making straight As in 3rd grade. In her own self-assessment, she downgraded herself in science and math. Mrs. Golay said, "I don't know why she's put herself at red (downgraded), she's great at math."

We talked about the homework, and how sometimes I don't get what the math homework is trying to teach. (Sample question: If Jerry needs to add 25 plus 3, but before he adds 3, he adds 12… what does he need to do now? My answer: He needs to stop adding random-ass numbers to simple math problems.) But I get that we're tip-toeing into algebra… and algebra and sarcasm don't mix.

And frankly, algebra and me don't mix.

But Evey is doing great in school and the teacher really had no recommendations… Evey is at "Tier One" in all her subjects, she has no special assistance, just doing her thing and learning like a big girl.

And then Mrs. Golay told me something about Evey that really melted my heart… she asked me if I knew there was a special needs student in the class, I said yes. Mrs. Golay told me that Evey is helpful with this student, treats him as an equal and a friend. "She's a blessing to have in class," the teacher told me.

GULP! So proud of my girl. She could be making straight Cs and we'd work on it, right? But to hear that she's just a good kid, has a kind heart? So rewarding.

I've told her about a hundred times I'm proud of her. I also told her we'd have to celebrate the "straight As" soon. I get the impression that she thinks that she should be doing better. I'm fine with that.

I'm just so PROUD of her.

No comments: