Monday, October 18, 2010

Letter of Complaint part 2

Adrianne went straight to the office to rummage through the paper work on the house.

I knew this would really piss her off, in fact, it’d ruin her day. I wasn’t happy about it either, but if you know me, you know stuff like this doesn’t really ruin my day, it pisses me off for about ten minutes and then I move on with my day. I was worried that Adro, however, might not get to sleep that night, she’d be so pissed.

And as you know, when Momma ain’t happy, no one’s happy.

The next day I sent out this email to our mortgage loan officer, CC’ing or real estate agent:

Hello (name and name),

I recently got some bad news in the mail regarding my mortgage payment (see attached document) and just wanted to take this to everyone and see what happened? Is this accurate?

Thanks for your insight.

Seth


This was the response I got (her misspellings):

I am not sure what happened with the escrow account but my suggestion is to call US Bank and see what it would take to make up the shortage so your payment doesn'y increase this much. I have went back and looked at everything and I know sometimes because of the time frame that we closed it gets kind of strange because your taxes are due but yet they are not ready to be paid out yet and that can mess things up.. If you choose not to pay the shortage then your payment won't stay this way the entire time it is really up to you as to what you want to do.

I appoligize that I am just now returning your email but I didn't get the first one and we were closed on Friday..
Thanks

You can probably imagine I wasn’t real happy with this response. Besides the butchering of the English language (appoligize???), we never had any dealings with U.S. Bank for our loan. It seemed like she barely read the documents I sent her, and apparently asked her 9-year-old to type the response on her Blackberry while she dealt with more important customers…

Hence, my response:

(Name),

How is US Bank involved in any of this?

Neither of my questions were answered. The only thing I see in your reply is that things can get "kind of strange" and that "can mess things up."

I don't know who screwed up, but as a first-time home buyer, I put my trust into others, and somewhere along the lines a rookie mistake was made, and it's costing me over a thousand dollars. This rookie mistake should have been avoided.

If I were at a restaurant, I'd ask to speak with the manager. But this wasn't a cheeseburger I bought, it was a house -- the largest purchase of my life -- and someone failed to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is. That's the irony of the whole thing, isn't it? If I were at a restaurant, I'd at least get an apology from the manager and maybe a free dessert! But when buying a house, I get a poorly written email stating the obvious.

Don't worry, I'm not kicking over tables here or anything. I'm just looking for some customer service. You don't need to apologize for being slow to respond, that doesn't bother me. The $1800 I lost and the lack of real answers I'm getting is what bothers me.

-Seth

So she emails me back pretty quickly this time, but now she’s apparently wide awake and the effects of whatever drugs she was on have worn off. Turns out she had me “confused with someone else.” Even though I scanned and attached all the documents regarding the matter. She promises me she’ll “do some more research.” And by the way, she spelled “apologize” “appoligize” again and that just about made my head explode.

But I sit back and chill. I’m not expecting any good news, I just want to know what happened and I want someone to know I’m unhappy that the ball was dropped and I’m the one who gets to pay for the fuck-up.

Then, I get this email…

(The final part, tomorrow...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The suspense is killing me!!! My favorite part of her first e-mail was the "I have went back and looked at everything and I know sometimes because of the time frame..."

That sentence just makes me laugh. Do you have to go to college to work in real estate/a bank?

Commodore Lerve said...

Banking stories, they're Grrrrrreat!