Thursday, October 19, 2017

Show me the world as I love to see it

Attention people of earth: there is no good reason for the photos in this post other than as a reminder to my own self (and ego) that I once caught a 5-foot barracuda deep sea fishing off the Atlantic coast of Florida.


I would like to go deep sea fishing again someday. Someday I will.

***

Do me (and yourself) a favor: put on good headphones (or find a good sound system, where you can turn it up) and put on the third track of Radiohead's OK Computer, "Subterranean Homesick Alien." If you don't get Radiohead, this track will not only help you see the light, but it will lift your entire spirit. 

No drugs needed. The music itself is all you need, to take you away from this planet.

If you are ever at my house and would like me to help you with this, we can do it in person, we'll play it on the jukebox and just be quiet for a minute. It's the kind of peace we all need in our current America.

(A lot of the rest of the album is terrifying, btw.)

***

I'm going to see the Gordon Hayward broken leg injury in my mind for the rest of my life. Dammit, I was really looking forward to seeing how that kid was going to play in Boston. He's an ideal Celtic... and just a great player, playing for his old college coach. That Butler team almost upset Duke. Hayward almost hit that half-court shot to pull off the upset... I hope it's not a career ender.

That's the rough part of sports, when the big storylines get interrupted by reality. This rarely happens in pro wrestling, and happens even less often in the telenovellas.

***

So we had the kids' parent/teacher conferences today.

Evey again was raved about. Straight As. Excellent reader. Attentive student. Demonstrates the proper "life skills" needed to succeed.

So proud of her. I don't know how a 5th grader can be so studious and mindful, but that's Evey. Happy that she's doing so good!

Boyd also had a really good review. Academically he's one of the best in the class. His counting and reading is beyond the kindergarten level.

The teacher reluctantly mentioned that there has been a time or two that Boyd wasn't good at sharing... but that didn't bother me (or her) much because as she mentioned... it's a bunch of boys in the class, and sometimes it gets a little competitive. 

Glad Boyd isn't passive. We'll work on the politeness later, when the rest of the boys have learned it as well.

***


***

Adrianne is really excited to read a book she saw reviewed in the LJW this week, called "The Hole." We asked Alexa for some direction on who wrote this book, but we weren't real clear on the author's name...

Anyway, Adro got it figured out and saw that she could order the book for $25, or buy it on the Amazon Kindle for $2. "Which one was is the Kindle 2?" she asked me.

Well, that's tough to answer. I mean, it turns out our Kindles have Kindles. Perhaps we're not as literary here in the Jones household as we like to think. Or perhaps we're related to an Amazon employee. Or maybe it's a combination of both?

But, good news, babe. I found "Kindle 2" and it's charged. Let me know how the book is.

Perhaps you'll listen to Subterranean Homesick Alien with me soon?

  


No comments: